Friday, June 21st, 2019
Straining yourself because of neck pain can not only be discouraging but it can also become a hindrance to everyday activities. No matter the initial cause of injury, neck discomfort needs to be resolved with utmost haste in order to help prevent other complications from occurring. It's at this moment that you should get into contact with our chiropractor in Valley Stream.
In most cases, neck pain can range from either temporary to chronic, depending upon the severity. In order to properly treat this condition, you may need to receive both physical therapy as well as chiropractic care for long-lasting results. These two forms of treatment go hand-in-hand when treating chronic pain of the spine and neck. Our office not only offers a chiropractor in Valley Stream but also physical therapy for our patient's convenience. If you have neck pain, your first step is to determine the cause, and the next step is to visit Comprehensive Healthcare Group to receive treatment and the proper care.
Unfortunately, neck pain can be caused by an abundance of factors. On some occasions, radiating pain can be stimulated due to an injury, other times the cause may not be quite as clear. Visiting a chiropractor in Valley Stream and receiving tests can help you figure out the cause of your pain. Some of the most common potential causes for your neck pain may include the following:
- Overuse Injuries - this type of neck pain is typically temporary and results from straining your neck muscles over a long period of time.
- Arthritis - all of your joints are at risk for being worn down from arthritis, and the neck is no exception. The deterioration of the soft tissues surrounding your joint bones can cause pain and discomfort in the long term, especially when using the joint often as a result of repetitive motions.
- Pinched Nerve (Cervical Radiculopathy) - this condition can affect the sensitive nerve endings in the spine, leading to pain radiating throughout the neck area. The compression of the nerves along your spine can be the result of a herniated or degenerated disc in the spinal column.
- Headaches/Migraines - these conditions can cause pain and stiffness in the neck as a result of the pain and heaviness felt in the head.
If you’re unsure of the cause of your neck pain, visiting your physician and determining why you’re experiencing pain is the first step towards healing. Once you’ve determined the cause, you can begin your treatment by receiving specialized care.
How a Physical Therapist and Chiropractor in Valley Stream Can Benefit You:
A physical therapist may offer both passive and active physical therapy to help treat your neck pain. Passive physical therapy includes treatments like massage therapy, the application of ice or heat, or electrotherapy. Active physical therapy treatments will involve you doing specified movements which stretch and work the muscles in the neck.
Pairing physical therapy with chiropractic care can offer huge benefits, as one complements the other. While receiving physical therapy, getting regular chiropractic adjustments of the neck can realign the joints, improve mobility and flexibility, reduce inflammation and pain. Some benefits of utilizing a physical therapist and chiropractor in Valley Stream include:
- Potential for pain reductions.
- Boosted mobility.
- Improved flexibility.
- Strengthened muscles, helping to increase injury prevention.
- Increased range of motion, making movements more comfortable.
- Improvement in joint function.
If you’re looking to complement your physical therapy with chiropractic care, Comprehensive Healthcare Group can offer you the treatment and relief you need. Contact our Chiropractor in Valley Stream to schedule an appointment to stop your neck pain today.
Wednesday, June 5th, 2019
Few things are more difficult to deal with in life than constant joint pain. To make matters worse, the drop in temperature and changes in barometric pressure that come with the winter season will do your joint pain no favors. Our team at Comprehensive Healthcare Group understands this and wants to help you alleviate your joint pain year-round! By following some of the below tips, you can help reduce or avoid joint pain this winter.
- Stick To A Healthy Diet: With the holiday season in full swing, it can be easy to over-indulge in all of the delicious and festive food that comes around this time of year. While it is by no means an issue to enjoy this food, you need to make sure not to overdo it. Excess weight can put extra pressure on your joints, possibly leading to joint pain. By enjoying your food in moderation and sticking to a proper diet, you can manage your weight and reduce the risk of joint pain.
- Dress In Layers: The frigid temperatures can lead to an array of issues this winter, including joint pain. To help deal with the cold, make sure you layer up before stepping outside. By covering up typical problematic areas for joint pain such as your hands and knees, you can keep these areas nice and warm and stop joint pain in its tracks.
- Keep Your Vitamin D Levels Up: Low levels of vitamin D can increase your sensitivity to arthritis and joint pain. It can also put you at risk for developing osteoporosis. Since in the winter we often miss out on vitamin D taken in from sunlight, you can try increasing your consumption of the below to combat this:
- Orange Juice
- Egg Yolks
- Stay Active: Though it is extremely easy to skip out on exercising in the winter, staying active can help reduce joint pain. Inactive joints can become stiff and painful in the cold weather, meaning it is important that you find time to get some movement in. The great thing is that you can stay active and have a workout from the comfort of your own home! Some great exercises you can try to help combat joint stiffness are:
- Shoulder rolls.
- Side bends.
- Hip swings.
- Hamstring stretches.
- Pelvic tilts.
- Schedule An Appointment At Comprehensive Healthcare Group: One final way to help avoid joint pain this winter is to schedule an appointment with us at Comprehensive Healthcare Group. By providing services like physical therapy and chiropractic care we will determine the source of your joint pain and work tirelessly to relieve it. You’ll always be in great hands and receive the proper care when you visit our team.
If you dread the coming of winter each year due to increased joint pain, you are not alone. Our team at Comprehensive Healthcare Group has the knowledge and treatment methods necessary to help you get back to living pain-free. If you’d like to learn more tips on how you can avoid joint pain this winter be sure to contact us today!