Monday, August 27th, 2018
It’s that time of year again! We have reached that point in the summer where many of us pack up, leave town, and go on a nice relaxing vacation. But getting to your destination is often a hassle and can ultimately put a lot of stress on your lower back. Avoiding long periods of travel cramped up in a car or plane can be difficult when going on vacation. Despite this, there are still some steps you can take to reduce lower back pain and prevent injuries while traveling this summer.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we offer chiropractic services that can treat a wide range of injuries and conditions. This summer, our chiropractor in Oceanside and Valley Stream will be able to help prevent your vacation from being ruined by lower back pain. Here are some steps you can take to prevent lower back pain while traveling this summer:
- Get Comfortable Immediately: Before you leave for your trip, make sure that you are as comfortable as possible while sitting in your seat to avoid future pain. You can achieve this by doing the following:
- Removing your wallet, keys, or phone from your back pocket to avoid problems with your spine alignment.
- Focus on your posture. Make sure to sit up straight with your chin pulled in and your legs uncrossed.
- Utilize a seat cushion for extra support. A rolled up jacket or sweater can also do the trick.
- Get Up And Stretch: Your spine will need a break from sitting down. Sitting in one spot for too long will cause your muscles to stiffen up and spasm, resulting in added stress and pain on your spine. If you get up to stretch every 20-30 minutes, it will allow for proper blood flow which brings oxygen and nutrients to your lower back. Our chiropractor in Oceanside and Valley Stream can also show you several exercises that will assist with preventing lower back pain during travel.
- Bring An Ice Pack/Heat Pack: Inflammation will often accompany lower back pain. Using an ice pack will reduce inflammation and muscle soreness while you travel. Heat packs can also be useful in alleviating lower back pain by loosening up the muscles. Portable heat packs and long-lasting heat wraps are convenient to have during any long trips this summer.
- Pack Properly: Not only are heavy bags an inconvenience, but they can create a lot of strain and stress on your back. You can avoid this by using a light suitcase with wheels instead of a bulky duffle bag. Also, make sure that you only bring what is necessary for the trip. The more items you pack, the more strain will be put on your back. Backpacks are also beneficial because they evenly distribute the weight on your shoulders.
Monday, August 20th, 2018
Comprehensive Healthcare Group is an established and well regarded multi-disciplinary practice providing traditional and holistic medical treatment in the fields of physical medicine, orthopedics, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture and pain management at our fully staffed locations in Nassau County, Long Island, NY. Our specialists emphasize individualized patient needs through a variety of healthcare services under one roof. At this location, we offer physical therapy in Oceanside for all of our patients.
For over 20 years, we have developed a reputation for patient-directed care using the latest technologies and qualified providers. We consult with new and existing patients in our Oceanside, Valley Stream, NY locations.
2856 Long Beach Road
Oceanside, NY 11572
As an athlete, physical therapy in Oceanside is a crucial component of recovering from injuries, both on and off the field. Even during the off-season, physical therapy is essential for returning to peak physical strength. Physical therapy provides many benefits to the body in the aftermath of an injury. By supporting the body, physical therapy will allow the injury to heal more effectively than it would under normal conditions. Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we offer many different services for athletes who have suffered injuries. Our Oceanside Physical Therapy Staff can assist athletes with their recovery and help them return to the field as quickly and safely as possible.
How Physical Therapy Helps Recovery:
Our Oceanside Physical Therapy Staff will start by working with you to create a customized treatment plan based on the nature of your injury. This treatment plan will be designed to meet your physical needs and personal objectives. Our treatment plans are primarily composed of the following:
- Ice/Heat Therapy
The purpose of these specific techniques is to:
- Restore range of motion
- Decrease pain and stress on the body
- Develop strength and flexibility
- Increase endurance
Why Physical Therapy in Oceanside is Especially Important for Athletes:
Utilizing physical therapy after an injury could mean the difference between a short and productive recovery, and a long, drawn-out recovery. Physical therapy is particularly important for athletes, as not having physical therapy after an injury could put their athletic careers in jeopardy. Just because an injury occurs during the off-season, it does not diminish the importance of receiving physical therapy. Off-season physical therapy ensures that your body is healthy and in shape before the season starts.
Physical therapy goes beyond just recovery, as it also works to improve the body as a whole. If you are an athlete that has experienced an injury, contact our physical therapist in Oceanside today!
Monday, August 13th, 2018
No matter what your career is, working can take a heavy toll on the body. If you have recently suffered a work-related injury, chiropractic care may be an effective, alternative avenue for pain relief. Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, our chiropractor in Valley Stream or Oceanside can provide you with a wide range of chiropractic services to treat your work-related injury.
What is Chiropractic treatment?
Chiropractic treatment is a natural approach to healthcare which focuses on diagnosing and treating disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Treatment consists primarily of manual spinal adjustments aimed at properly aligning the body and restoring maximum mobility.
Injuries in the workplace
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, our team of experts can work with you to address and repair a variety of injuries and conditions that can happen in the workplace. Some of the most common workplace injuries include the following:
- Shoulder Pain
- Strains and Sprains
Causes of Workplace Injuries:
Some common causes of workplace injuries include the following:
Injuries stemming from repetitive motions: Repetitive motions include typing, lifting heavy objects, and even sitting at a desk all day. These actions can gradually cause an injury if you fail to take frequent breaks to give your body a rest.
Overexertion: Many jobs require constant, intense physical engagement such as lifting, bending, standing, etc., which can lead to injury or chronic pain.
Falling: Slipping, falling, and other accidents are common in many jobs and can lead to injury which demands immediate treatment.
How can we help?
Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, our team of experienced chiropractors will work to help you recover from your workplace injury. In addition to pain relief and speeding up your recovery, we can also improve your body's wellness and functionality.
Some of the treatment methods we can use to treat a workplace injury include:
- Spinal Manipulation/Adjustment
- Exercise Therapy
- Nutritional Support
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation
Workplace injuries are incredibly common and can impact the body in a variety of ways depending on the nature of your job. Luckily, chiropractic treatment is an excellent means of relieving work induced pain. Our chiropractor in Valley Stream or Oceanside can help your body return to normalcy.
Monday, August 6th, 2018
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that causes pain, tingling, and numbness throughout the hand and arm due to a pinched nerve in the wrist. This nerve is the median nerve located on the palm side of your hand. This nerve also provides sensation and nerve signals to the muscles surrounding the thumb. If you are seeking treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome, contact us today to get connected for physical medicine in Oceanside or Valley Stream.
- Numbness, tingling, and pain in your thumb and fingers
- Pain and burning that moves up the arm
- Wrist pain that occurs at night and interferes with sleep
- Weakness in your hand muscles
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when your wrist experiences too much pressure, which then causes the median nerve to become pinched as it moves through the wrist. Sources of carpal tunnel syndrome include the following:
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Fluid retention from pregnancy or menopause
- High blood pressure
- Autoimmune disorders
- Fractures or trauma to the wrist
Overextension of the wrist is also a leading cause of carpal tunnel syndrome. The following examples will often lead to overextended wrists:
- The position of your wrist when you are using a keyboard or mouse
- When you use vibrating power/hand tools
- Any repeated movements that overextend your wrist, such as playing the piano
Softer Touch: You may not realize it, but you could be using more pressure than you need to in your daily tasks. Your hand and wrist will benefit from using a gentler grip.
Take Breaks: Taking a 10-15 minute break to stretch your hands will help to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Try making a fist and then fan out your fingers as far as you can 5-10 times during this break time.
Change It Up: You should avoid repeating the same hand and wrist motions. Try switching hands or mixing up your tasks, which will reduce the pressure on your hands and wrist.
Watch Your Form: Try not to bend your wrist all the way up or down. Keeping it at a neutral, middle level is best.
When it comes to treating carpal tunnel syndrome, there are many options available. These treatments range from making lifestyle changes to seeking physical therapy. One popular treatment option includes seeking physical medicine in Oceanside or Valley Stream like us in order to receive an effective course of action. Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we are a multi-disciplinary practice offering a wide range of different treatment options for our patients.
Are you interested in setting up an appointment for physical medicine in Oceanside or Valley Stream? Be sure to contact us today.